Monday, September 25, 2006

Never ask a Lady that

So I decided to finally go and get a library card, after having moved almost a year ago.
'How old are you?' the library clerk asks me.
The world stops. I stand there like a deer in the headlights. What am I supposed to say? My mind is a complete blank. I have no idea how old I am! I've never been good with math in my head so trying to figure it out from my birthday is going to take me half a century. The clock is ticking. The clerk is staring at me. I have to say something! Then as my mind is still groping around in the amnesiatic dark I hear my mouth spit out "21." Not untill several sentenses later, in the middle of a surprised "you don't look that old" speech does it occur to me 'wait a moment, what did I say? that's not how old I am! umm.... that would be, oh yeah, 24.' But what am I supposed to do? say "wait a minute, actually I'm 24, I don't know why I said 21, but I really do know how old I am, and yeah, that's how old I really am, really." If 21 was pushing it, how on earth could I be convinceing with 24? Feeling too stupid to try to correct myself I just took the card and made a run for it. Oh well.

6 comments:

luminarumbra said...

LOL! I've found myself doing that more frequently nowadays. After my 18th, I sort of stopped keeping track, and people at work occasionally ask me how old I am, and all I can remember is that I'm old enough to drink, and I think I had a birthday or two in between that, but I'm not sure.

Rachel said...

I'm SO GLAD I'm not the only one who forgets my age. Regularly.

SO GLAD.

Marcy said...

LOL. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who looks rather younger than I am.

Heh, my mom says one time soon after she'd married someone knocked on the door, and when she answered it they asked, "Is your mom at home?" She said she felt like saying, "I don't know, but if you want I can call her and ask."

aelthwyn said...

=) he he, I would have wanted to say something like that too if I was your mom.
Did I tell you about how the waitor thought I was 14 at my 24th birthday party? I thought that was pretty ridiculous. I hope they're still saying that kind of thing to me when I'm 80 though.

Marcy said...

::grin:: No, you didn't. But I can imagine something similar happening to me. I don't know though... I think it'd be a little scary if you looked 14 at 80... (=

aelthwyn said...

well, you know, when you're an elf...what can y' do?