Monday, November 27, 2006

like talking with your mouth full at a nice restaraunt

reading certain books in public can be hazardous to your pride and social standing. ...well at least if you read like I do. I get very involved with the characters and react outloud. I make faces, giggle, squeal with delight, talk back, sometimes read aloud, and generaly interact with the book. Say...if one of the characters is being particularly stupid I will often roll my eyes and hit my forhead with the book, if something happens that I predicted I exclaim triumphantly, if something really happy happens I will bounce up and down and grin exstatically, etc. So....when walking or sitting in a public place this can draw some very unwanted attention. heh. like today. I had to put away my book as I walked home because I could tell I was gearing up towards making quite a scene on state street. You ask what book? I'm on the 8th volume of Hana-Kimi, a cute sappy romantic comedy manga.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

M-m-m-m-m...

Tasty elves.

Mushroom gravey...

Tasty elves.

luminarumbra said...

*pokes at the previous comment-leaver with a pointy stick* No, no, it's not a bot this time. I say, Changeling Woman, do you know this here fellow? Perhaps you have developed a stalker.

Oh, right. The post. That's what I came here for.

I do the same thing, though to a lesser extent. I discovered it late one night when I realized I was contorting my face to match the expressions of the characters as I read my book. It has only gotten worse since then. While reading FMA I was jumping around gesturing wildly at the book and nearly shouting.

And yet someday this week I need to hit up Borders for the next volume. Odd things may ensue.

aelthwyn said...

haven't the foggiest who that bloke is.

glad to hear I'm not the only one who makes faces while reading though.

Anonymous said...

Just yesterday John was commenting that I really shouldn't be surprised that he automatically thinks I'm talking to *him* when he's the only other person in the room, rather than thinking I'm talking to the computer or TV.

aelthwyn said...

what? what kind of nonsense is that? isnt' it natural to talk to everything? I guess you have to learn to analyse the verbal content and the situation and decide whether the comment makes more sense made to you or made to the inanimate object the person speaking is interacting with.

Anonymous said...

Yes, that's what I think. And yet John thinks he can just assume. ::sigh:: (=

aelthwyn said...

wow do I ever feel stupid!!! heh. I was really mad at a character who did something really really stupid and I whaped my head with the book in exasperation so hard that I gave myself a bloody nose.