Friday, September 16, 2005

Tea

...is a way of life. To me it symbolises slowing down and enjoying simple pleasures, and the easy-going attitude that allows you to do that. Stopping to have a cup of tea often gives me a new perspective on the day. One of the things I like best about Ireland and Brittain is that they serve good tea and serve it often. Tea is soemthing for hot summer days as much as for rainy evenings. Both old and young people drink it in Brittain; it is not only something for frumpy old ladies. In Ireland usually the first thing a friend is asked as they come in is if they’ed like a ‘cuppa’ and of course they alsways do. Instead of feeling obligated to come up with some kind of entertainment people would just sit and talk over a cup of tea (or several -I was oftered a cup about every half hour in one home) Some of the best conversations happen over a cup of tea. Somehow drinking tea seems to put people more at ease.
Tea makes everything better. When I’m feeling tierd, or stressed, or frustrated, or glum drinking a cup of good tea sooths and relaxes, comforts, gladdens my heart, makes the day beautifull again. Tea is like a hug in a cup. Perfect moments usually involve a cup of tea. In fact, a really good cup of tea can make almost any moment sublime.
Tea in America is in a very sad state. It is possible to get good tea, but quite difficult. When you can find it it is always sold in miniscule quantities at high prices. Sigh. Most of the time when you ask for tea at a restaraunt here you get the kind that tastes like they brewed cardboard. The most popular choice seems to be Lipton, which is not so bad as Nestea and some others; it will do in a pinch but it certainly is not very enjoyable. I have taken to carying my own tea-bags with me and simply requesting hot-water so I don’t have to pay to suffer through/grimace down the liquid cardboard. They also never serve milk or creme with tea here unless you are in an actual tea-house. I am constantly forgetting to tell them to keep their lemon and honey and bring me some little coffee creamers instead if they have any - sometimes they actually bring milk in a little pitcher which is nice. Cofee houses are in abundance here, and they often do serve some tea but the selection is usually very limited, and only occassionally includes a good black tea.
I prefer black tea. Breakfast teas are my favorites. On occasion I will drink herbal teas, but although I like them I like black tea so much better that I will always choose that first. Earl Grey is nice, but a lighter more, I guess I would call it ‘flowery’ flavor than I prefer. I like my tea fairly strong, and used to drink it plain, but since my trip to Ireland and Scottland a couple years ago I have taken to drinking it with milk. They insisted upon it in Ireland and I guess I just got hooked. I still like it without milk, but if I can have it I usually will put a little in. I don’t like a lot of milk in it, just a few drops usually. When it’s brewed just right and has the rigth ammount of milk it always looks the same color of amber-brown with the same ammount of opaque-ness. I particulaqrly like to have it with a piece of cheddar cheese or some chocolate - usually twix or plain dark chocolate. I like the way those flavors mix with the flavor of tea.

1 comment:

luminarumbra said...

Tea is a wonderful thing! It's so far superrior to coffee it's unbelievable, and it is definately a great comfort 'food.'