Monday, June 06, 2005

Custard

Custard is a wonderfull thing, one of the best foods there is in my oppinion. There are many different kinds of custard, some better than others, but all pretty good. Custard can be light and creamy, or somewhat closer to the consistancey of jello - only much much better. Creme Brulee - I have no idea how it’s really spelled- is creamy and has a lovely crunch crust of carmelized sugar on top. Regular custard is a little stiffer - though not hard- and has nutmeg sprinkled over it (I love nutmeg!) There is also the instant jello brand kind, which is more like pudding; it tastes good, but is really not much like the real thing. The custard style yogurt which Yoplait makes is pretty good too, it doesn’t taste like custard, but has the same consistancy. Flan is also a kind of custard with sweet sauce poured over it. The cafeteria at school pretends to make flan, but it is really just stiff pudding with sweet sauce - it tastes good too, but is not the same as real custard at all!
When you make custard you have to have little custard bowls to bake it in, and you have to set these little bowls in a pan of hot water and then stick the whole thing into the oven. That is not very difficult. However, when it comes time to take the custard out.... well just hope that your oven rack slides smoothly. If it catches and jerks the very hot water will slosh and slpash. You may have clouds of steam cloming up from the bottom of the oven, and you may have water in your custard now, but you most certainly will have burned your hands because hot pads are not water proof. Unfortuneatley all this means that making custard is not something one does on a whim when he feel slike a snack at 3 am.
Three days ago was my birthday and I was really hoping to have some custard rather than cake. Two days before that I tried going to a certain restaraunt that serves it in Downtown Disney with my friend Marcy after we left Disneyland, but they were closed. My hopes were dashed! But then my mother was actually kind enough to make custard for me - I thought the first time she made it would be her last. This time went considerably better though. Then last night (that is the night of the 4th) my Dad and Gandpa took me to my favorite restaraunt: The Cat & the Custard Cup, and of course I got to have some custard again. This time it had raspberries in it. It was heavenly.
The Cat & the Custard Cup is a lovely little place in Whitter that is rather like an English pub, but rather expensive. It makes me think of eating at Sherlock Holmes’ house. It is cozy and has excellent food! My personal favorite is the red deer with their maple whipped yams -which are as good as ice cream in my oppinion. And another thing I appreciate about it is that I can order hot tea and not be served nasty lipton! They actually have good quallity tea, a thing far too rare in california.

2 comments:

Markus Stratus said...

I've told you about my strawberry rhubarb custard pies I make right? mmm I could use a slice of that....

aelthwyn said...

mm yes! =D too bad that wouldn't mail too well, hehe